Australian state and territory treasurers established the Board of Treasurers in October 2017. The board's role is to collaborate on issues of common interest, advance national reform priorities from a state and territory perspective, and foster more constructive and effective engagement with the Commonwealth government.
The Board is an independent and enduring body that upholds the sovereignty of state and territory governments within the Australian constitutional framework with respect to federal financial relations.
- Strengthen the federation partnership between the Commonwealth, states and territories to deliver more effectively on national reform priorities.
- Enhance the leadership role of the states and territories on the issues that matter most to the wellbeing of all Australians, such as the cost and provision of health, education and housing.
- Improve understanding and cooperation among state and territory treasurers, helping each other achieve full potential and making the whole nation stronger.
- Learn from each other by sharing information and best practices.
The treasurers of the six states and two self-governing territories are members of the Board of Treasurers. The Board’s chair rotates annually, supported by a permanent secretariat based in Adelaide.
Current Board members:
- The Hon. Rob Lucas MLC,
Treasurer of South Australia (Chair – 2019)
- The Hon. Dominic Perrottet MP,
Treasurer of New South Wales (Chair - 2018)
- The Hon. Tim Pallas MP,
Treasurer of Victoria (Chair - 2020)
- The Hon. Jackie Trad MP,
Treasurer of Queensland
- The Hon. Ben Wyatt MLA,
Treasurer of Western Australia
- The Hon. Peter Gutwein MP,
Treasurer of Tasmania
- Mr Andrew Barr MLA,
Chief Minister and Treasurer of the Australian Capital Territory
- The Hon. Nicole Manison MLA,
Deputy Chief Minister and Treasurer of the Northern Territory
Next meeting: February 2020
Communications and media releases
- 22 November 2019 - Communique - Adelaide meeting
- 30 August 2019 - Letter to the Commonwealth Treasurer - NHRA negotiations
- 29 August 2019 - Letter to Commonwealth Treasurer - NDIS transparency and sustainability
- 29 August 2019 - Expiring National Partnership Agreements submission
- 9 August 2019 - Communique – Adelaide meeting
- 21 December 2018 - New lease accounting standard and its impact on the reporting of gross and net debt from 2019-20
- 21 December 2018 - Information Paper: Changes to lease accounting and the impact on public sector debt
- 30 November 2018 - Communique - Uluru meeting
- 30 November 2018 - Board of Treasurers meet in the middle
- 3 August 2018 - Communique - Sydney meeting
- 3 August 2018 - Vow to ensure all states GST winners
- 25 May 2018 - Communique - Melbourne meeting
- 22 November 2017 - Board of Treasurers meets for the first time
- 1 November 2017 - The Australian, Op Ed
- 27 October 2017 - New state-treasurers body to give states a bigger say
- 27 October 2017 - Agreement reached over new state-treasurers body