The Department of Treasury and Finance (DTF) holds money that is owed to someone who hasn’t claimed it in South Australia.

Unclaimed money is deposited by businesses, government agencies, local councils and many other similar sources who are registered in South Australia, or do business in South Australia.

Search the database to track down any unclaimed money that could be belonging to you. It’s free to search and free to claim if you are the rightful owner.

If you believe unclaimed money may belong to you, find out how to claim unclaimed money.

For enquiries about unclaimed money held in South Australia, email:

Sometimes you don’t receive money owed to you because you have:

  • changed address
  • changed your name
  • lost paper work, or
  • simply forgotten about it.

Unclaimed money is deposited with DTF when businesses are not able to locate and return funds to the rightful owner for nine years or more after advertising in the South Australian Gazette for the past two years.

Unclaimed money held by DTF includes:

  • refunds
  • unpresented, void or stale cheques
  • deceased estates
  • wages and salaries
  • deposits
  • dividends (not company shares).


Unclaimed superannuation previously held by DTF in South Australia was transferred to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) in September 2014.

You’ll need to contact the ATO directly to enquire or make a claim.

For more information contact the ATO on 13 10 20 or visit the Australian Taxation Office Lost Members Register.


The Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) is responsible for unclaimed money held by banks, building societies, credit unions, friendly societies, insurance policies and company shares.

For enquires, you’ll need to contact Australian Securities and Investments Commission on 1300 300 630

The Department of Treasury and Finance only administers unclaimed money from companies whose head office is registered in South Australia, or do business in South Australia.

Contact other state treasuries for a potential claim: