The State Government recognises that some sporting clubs that have been impacted by the COVID-19 restrictions are still required to maintain playing surfaces, including watering large ovals etc. To support those clubs that have significant water bills to pay, the State Government will provide financial assistance towards water and sewerage bills issued between April and June 2020.

The grant is being funded from the Community and Jobs Support Fund as part of the State Government’s broader $650 million Jobs Rescue Package.

Eligible sporting clubs will receive a grant equivalent to 50 percent of the water and sewerage costs1 incurred in the eligible billing period^.

To be eligible for this grant, a sporting club must:

  • Be an incorporated sporting club in South Australia that maintains facilities and grounds2 that require significant water usage;
  • Have annual grouped Australian payroll of less than $1.5 million, and not be entitled to a payroll tax waiver under the State Government's COVID-19 support measures;
  • Be responsible for paying a SA Water (or other water supplier) water and sewerage bill directly or explicitly required to pay for water as part of its lease arrangements e.g. the club makes a specific water contribution as part of its lease to the lessor.

^ Eligible sporting clubs that have received a $10,000 Small Business Grant will receive a Water Relief Grant equivalent to 50 percent of the water and sewerage costs1 incurred during the eligible billing period less the $10,000 Small Business Grant.

This grant is not available to:

  • State sporting associations/bodies that have received assistance from the South Australian Government as a result of the impact of COVID‑19 on its industry.
  • Local Councils that water sporting grounds used by sporting clubs.
  • Sporting clubs that rent facilities where grounds are maintained by the landlord.
  • Educational institutions.
  • Organisations whose predominant purpose is to offer camping, caravanning, park or garden facilities.

Eligibility will be determined based on an application. The sporting club must provide evidence:

  • That it is an incorporated sporting association operating in South Australia.
  • That it is required to maintain playing facilities that require significant water usage.
  • Outlining the nature of playing facilities, maintenance requirements and separately identify water charges.
  • Of the water and sewerage bill issued between 1 April and 30 June 2020 from SA Water (or another provider) or the landlord.
  • To prove payment of the water and sewerage bill that was issued between 1 April and 30 June 2020 to SA Water (or other provider) or the landlord3.
  • Of subsequent payment of water and sewerage bill issued between 1 April and 30 June 2020 to SA Water (or other provider) or landlord on receipt of the Government’s water relief payment.

The use of the funds is to support eligible sporting clubs maintaining their playing facilities.

Applications for this grant will be open until 31 July 2020.

Application process

Applications are now open. Before you start your application, please read the following important information:

To complete this form you will need:

  • Evidence that that the sporting club is an incorporated association maintaining eligible facilities and grounds in South Australia.
  • Details on the nature, size and location of the playing surfaces or grounds related to this application.
  • Bank account details (important: the form requires you to include the hyphen (-) in the middle of your BSB, i.e XXX-XXX. Once you enter the hyphen a drop-down list of BSBs will become available).
  • Evidence of the water and sewerage bill issued during the period 1 April to 30 June 2020.
  • Evidence of the payment of the water and sewerage bill (if applicable).
  • A valid email address.

This application must be completed by:

  • The Club Chair (President), Club Treasurer or an authorised delegate.


More information

Frequently Asked Questions

Water Relief Grant Guidelines

1. Water costs do not include any costs associated with bore water usage.

2. Facilities and grounds exclude hard courts, indoor facilities etc. (e.g. netball courts, basketball courts, volleyball courts or hardcourt tennis courts).

3. A landlord can include a Local Council.