The Government of South Australia has established a COVID-19 Tourism and Hospitality Support Grant to support the tourism and hospitality sector in South Australia.
Businesses in eligible tourism and hospitality sectors that have already received the COVID‑19 Additional Business Support Grant will be automatically paid top-up grants of $3,000 for employing businesses and $1,000 for non-employing businesses. No additional application is necessary.
Businesses in the tourism and hospitality sector with a turnover of greater than $2 million and $5 million may also be eligible for a further grant of $7,000 and $17,000 respectively (taking the total value to $10,000 and $20,000). These businesses will need to apply separately and provide the required supporting evidence to receive the additional $7,000 or $17,000 payment.
This document provides guidance for COVID-19 Tourism and Hospitality Support Grant. Please read these Guidelines before applying.
To be eligible for COVID-19 Tourism and Hospitality Support Grant, businesses must meet the following criteria:
- Have received a COVID-19 Additional Business Support Grant (see Eligibility Guidelines);
- Have nominated as part of their COVID-19 Additional Business Support Grant application that they operate in an eligible industry sector as identified in the list of eligible ANZSIC classes;
Employing businesses with turnover greater than $2 million are eligible to apply for a larger turnover based COVID-19 Tourism and Hospitality Support Grant provided they meet the following additional criteria:
- Employ people in South Australia*; and
- Have turnover of greater than $2 million and up to $5 million in 2019-20 or 2020-21 to receive an additional $7,000 payment (taking total value of the grant to $10,000);
- Have turnover of greater than $5 million in 2019-20 or 2020-21 to receive an additional $17,000 payment (taking total value of grant to $20,000).
* To be considered an employee, staff must be under the control of the business, receive regular PAYG salary or wages, and have Pay As You Go Withholding amounts as well as superannuation paid by the employer. An owner, partner, or beneficiary of a trust is not considered to be an employee for the purpose of this grant.
Applicants must certify that they meet the eligibility criteria when submitting an online application.
Applicants will be subject to audit by the Government of South Australia or its representatives and will be required to produce evidence at the request of the Government for a period of 2 years after the grant has been approved.
If any information in applications is found to be false or misleading, the grant will be repayable on demand.
Information suspected to be fraudulent may be referred to the South Australian Police for investigation.
The COVID-19 Tourism and Hospitality Support Grant available per eligible business is as follows:
- $1,000 for a non-employing business
- $3,000 for employing business with annual turnover up to and including $2 million
- $10,000 for employing businesses with annual turnover of greater than $2 million and up to $5 million (automatic payment of $3,000 plus an additional top-up grant of $7,000)
- $20,000 for employing businesses with annual turnover of greater than $5 million (automatic payment of $3,000 plus an additional top-up grants of $17,000)
Note: Grants of $1,000 for non-employing businesses and $3,000 for employing businesses will be automatically paid.
Grants are provided to support eligible businesses that have been adversely impacted by restrictions enacted by State or Commonwealth Government due to COVID-19. This may include for example:
- Meeting business costs, including utilities, salaries, rent;
- Seeking financial, legal or other advice to support business continuity planning;
- Developing the business through marketing and communications activities; and / or
- Other supporting activities related to the operation of the business.
How to Apply
No application is required for the $1,000 grant for non-employing businesses or $3,000 grant for employing businesses. Payments will be made automatically based on information provided as part of applications for the COVID-19 Additional Business Support Grant.
To receive the larger (turnover based) COVID-19 Tourism and Hospitality Support Grant, applicants are required to submit an application online via the Application Portal. All questions in the application need to be completed to ensure timely assessment and grant payment.
The online application must be completed by an Authorised Officer, being:
- In the case of a business that is a sole trader that employs, the sole trader.
- In the case of a business that is a partnership that employs, a partner.
- In the case of a business that is a body corporate that employs, a director, secretary, public officer or equivalent.
Note: It is permissible for an agent such as an accountant or lawyer to submit the application on behalf of business provided they have been instructed to do so by the above Authorised Officer.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the grant, including that they employ staff to be eligible.
COVID-19 Tourism and Hospitality Support Grants will be provided to successful applicants by the Department of Treasury and Finance (DTF). Whether an applicant is successful or not will be determined by DTF in its absolute discretion. To access grant funding, applicants will be required to agree to Terms and Conditions at the time of application stipulating obligations and conditions under which assistance will be given to eligible applicants. DTF will not be legally obliged to pay any grant monies to an applicant.
Potential applicants should note that information received in connection with an application may be used and communicated outside the Government of South Australia for due diligence purposes and may also be provided to the Commonwealth Government and third parties engaged by DTF to assist with the assessment and processing of the applications received, together with program monitoring, reporting, auditing and evaluation purposes.
Applications open on 17 September 2021.
Applications for the larger (turnover based) COVID-19 Tourism and Hospitality Support Grants must be submitted via the Application Portal.
Applications close midnight 31 October 2021
DTF reserves the right to amend these Guidelines and application terms as required.
Applicants should be aware that DTF is subject to certain legislative and administrative accountability and transparency requirements of the Commonwealth Government and Government of South Australia, including public disclosure in accordance with Premier and Cabinet policy.
DTF will treat all information provided by applicants sensitively. Any information contained in, or relating to, an application, including information identified by an applicant as confidential, may be disclosed by DTF:
- to its employees, advisers or third-parties in order to assess, process and/or audit an application;
- within the Government of South Australia or other entities where this serves the legitimate interest of DTF;
- in response to a request by a House or Committee of the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia or South Australia;
- where information is authorised or permitted by law to be disclosed; and/or
- where the information is already in the public domain.