The Small Business Grant program provides support to South Australian small businesses that are highly impacted by the COVID19 pandemic.
The first round of Small Business Grants opened 21 April 2020 and closed 1 June 2020.
The second round of Small Business Grants includes $10,000 grants for eligible small businesses that employ staff and are receiving the JobKeeper extension from 28 September 2020 (JobKeeper extension 1) or from 4 January 2021 (JobKeeper extension 2).
The second round of Small Business Grants also introduces $3,000 grants for small businesses that do not employ staff, are operating from commercial premises, and are receiving JobKeeper extension 1 or 2.
To be eligible, businesses and not-for-profits including eligible sporting and community organisations will need to meet the following criteria:
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and were carrying on the operation of a business in South Australia on 30 September 2020
- Have an annual turnover of more than $75,000 (excluding GST) in either 2018-19 or 2019-20
- Are a participant in the Commonwealth Government’s extended JobKeeper Payment scheme from 28 September 2020 (JobKeeper extension 1) or from 4 January 2021 (JobKeeper extension 2)
- The enterprise does not engage in illegal activity
- Employing grant applicants also need to:
- Employ people in South Australia as at 30 September 2020*
- Have total Australian payroll of less than $1.5 million in either 2018-19 or 2019-20, and not be entitled to a payroll tax waiver or deferral under COVID-19 support measures introduced by the South Australian Government
- Non-employing grant applicants also need to:
- be operating from a commercial premise (see Frequently Asked Questions for further detail)
- not employ people in South Australia as at 30 September 2020*
To be considered an employee, staff must be under the control of the business, receive regular PAYG salary or wages, and have Pay As You Go Withholding amounts as well as superannuation paid by the employer. An owner, partner, or beneficiary of a trust is not considered to be an employee for the purpose of this grant.
Small Business Grant (Round 2) applications closed midnight 28 February 2021.
No new applications will be accepted after this time. DTF will continue to review existing applicant eligibility against the grant criteria. In particular, where JobKeeper eligibility changes, making the applicant eligible for a Round 2 grant, applications will be reassessed accordingly.